Dollar Store Busy Board

So I wanted to start by saying that I can’t take credit for this idea (a lovely lady named Carsonna on the Making One Fun Facebook group inspired this project) but it’s been AWESOME.

img_8263

Ever since I saw the idea, I couldn’t stop thinking about doing it for Mabel, my 8 month old. I didn’t expect how much my two-year-old would love it too!

I started by going to the Dollar Tree and grabbing some odds and ends that I thought might be good for this project.  I’ll link to the items below (the Dollar Tree links are NOT affiliate links) so you can see what I used.

I looked for interesting textures:  a car wash mitt, a heavy duty scour pad, a gray lego baseplate, a cleaning pad, and a white supersoft microfiber towel.

img_8265

I looked for things that move (like these mini clacker party favors), things that could be removed (a colorful wooden puzzle that I added Velcro to), things to interact with (a circle mirror), and things with buttons (the toy cell phone).

img_8266

My dollar store also had a large foam board, so I grabbed one there.

(The following Amazon links are affiliate links:)

Things I used from home: magnetic letters that Dan had gotten in college, and purple sandpaper (bonus – it has a really cool foamy texture on the back!).

img_8267

The colorful lids on a black shoe lace are from baby food pouches – I’ve been saving them for miscellaneous projects, so I had a few on hand.  I threaded them through a shoe lace and tied knots on the back, then used packing tape to attach it to the back of the board.

img_8264

The peekaboo pictures are made from the lids of baby wipes packs – after I peeled the lids off the packs, I scrubbed the labels off so I could write names on the outside, then glued the pictures and lids to the foam board.

I started just by laying everything out on the board – trying to decide what fit where and what height was best for everything.  I wanted Mabel to be able to grab most of it when she was sitting down.

img_8496

Then I just started attaching everything.  I used super glue for the smaller items, like the wipe lids and then a combination of super glue and my hot glue gun for the bigger items.  I used zip-ties to attach the mini-clackers, to allow for more movement. So far everything has stayed attached except the circle mirror – probably because it doesn’t have a flat back.

img_8268

We used 3M velcro command strips to hang the board – the velcro part comes in handy in case we need to fix or adjust anything.

This craft did take more time than some of my other activities, but I personally think it was worth it – the board held their attention this morning for almost twenty minutes, no joke!  It’s been up now for a few weeks and the girls keep going back to it and for the most part (see the above note about the mirror), it’s held together well. If you have a little bit of time, I highly recommend it!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s